We absolutely love cupcakes and seeing that Easter is just around the corner, I thought that I would share my quick and easy Easter Egg Cupcake recipe with you as the cupcakes really look lovely on an Easter-themed table and are really easy to make.
What you need for the cupcake mix:
110g/4oz softened butter or margarine
110g/4oz caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g/4oz self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk
- What you need for the buttercream icing:
- 140g/5oz softened butter
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- What you need for decorating:
- a bag of Cadbury’s Mini Eggs
- 4 Cadbury’s Flakes
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- 2. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until the mix is light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the eggs and add the vanilla extract.
- 3. Gently fold in the flour with a metal spoon and add 2 tbsp of milk, so that the mix gets a runny consistency. 7
- 4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- 5. Bake for 12-15 minutes and once ready, set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- 6. For the buttercream, beat the softened butter in a bowl and add half the icing sugar.
- 7. Add 2 tbsp of milk, 1 tbsp of cocoa powder and add the remaining icing sugar before mixing the icing until it is creamy.
- 8. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle (I use Wilton’s 1M) and pipe the icing onto the cupcakes in a large but flat swirl.
- 9. For decorating, break the Flake into rough pieces and sprinkle them onto the icing trying to create the look of a bird’s nest. Finally, place 3 Cadbury’s Mini Eggs in the middle of the nest.