Magic Moments: Amy’s first trip to the cinema

photo magicmomentsAmysfirsttriptothecinema_zps8a616530.jpg

I had been pondering for a couple of weeks now, if I should brave it and take Amy to the cinema. We have enjoyed quite a few Disney movies from the comfort of our home recently and Amy was mesmerised by them, but was she ready for the big screen and sitting still for the length of two hours? I really didn’t know, but seeing that Cinderella and her singing mouse friends kept her entertained for hours, I asked a couple of friends when they had taken their little ones to the cinema for the first time. Most of their children were around Amy’s age when they first went and after hearing mainly positive stories, I thought why not?

I had read so many raving reviews about Disney’s latest movie Frozen that I really wanted to take Amy, so when we sat at home on Saturday and had no idea what to do for the day, I bit the bullet and decided that Saturday would be the day for Amy’s cinema premier.

I showed her the trailer and when she got all excited about Olaf, the snowman, I knew that she would enjoy herself. We went to the afternoon screening at our local leisure complex and just walking into the building made Amy speechless. It has a huge foyer with ticket machines at the side and food stalls at the end of it and I would love to know what went through her little head when we walked through the door and she had no clue what to expect.

photo AmysfirsttriptothecinemawatchingDisneysFrozen_zpsbac615f7.jpg

We quickly bought our tickets and before making our way to our screen, we got ourselves the obligatory bag of popcorn, some pick a mix and a couple of drinks. Amy was rather chuffed with her selection of sweets was in absolute awe when she saw the big screen come alive.

As expected, she wasn’t too keen on sitting still, but luckily, there were only about 20 people in the cinema, so she could have a little wander around the room without disturbing anyone. The film itself was absolutely gorgeous and Amy enjoyed it just as much as I did. The storyline was easy enough for her to follow and the characters really appealed to her.

I’m not going to write a full-blown review on this occasion, there are plenty of them out there for you to read, but Frozen is definitely a movie that is worth watching, if you are after the perfect mix of drama, action and romance. Throw in a beautiful soundtrack and great animations and you have a movie for all the family. Amy and I enjoyed it so much that we will be pre-ordering the DVD – what more can you ask from a first trip to the cinema?

When did you first take your little ones to the cinema and what did you watch?

Comments

1. says

Awww I’m glad it was a success! I started taking Z to the kids screenings on Saturday mornings probably when he was around 3. We LOVE it and we continued to go when Baby A was born as he’d just sleep in his buggy. He’s a toddler now and too young to sit but too old to sleep in the buggy :( Im really looking forward to being able to take them both! The kids screenings are great as it’s all kids and usually only cost about £1! X
    AtoZ Mummy recently posted…Toddler TerrorMy Profile

2. says

That’s lovely! Glad she enjoyed it so much. Being such an amazing film must help. I took all of mine when they were about 3 – I think my eldest was Shrek 2 and my younger son was Cars. I have a feeling we had to leave before the end both times! My daughter used to manage the whole film, but still had to wander round and sit on my lap a lot.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Making a start (the new house)My Profile

• Carolin says

I love Shrek. It’s so funny. I’m actually surprised that Amy managed the whole film – well, if you cut out the three trips to the toilet ;)

3. says

Sounds like a perfect first cinema trip. I think Monsters Inc. was when I first took my eldest, he was just 4 and loved it, more than me as it really wasn’t my thing but I still remember it for the fun of seeing him.

• Carolin says

It really was. We watched Monsters Inc. on Disney Channel the other day and Amy quite liked it. I guess it was the baby she was in love with. She’s obsessed with babies x

• Carolin says

She really did. She was absolutely mesmerised and when she got a little restless, she just walked up and down the stairs for a bit ;)

• Carolin says

It sounds perfect. There were only 20 people in the room with us, which really surprised me, but it was perfect for us as no one was bothered about Amy moving about x

4. Hazel Christopher says

I first took my little boy just before Christmas (he’s 3 years old) and he was so well behaved it shocked me, he really enjoyed it – we watched Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 3D. As he was so well behaved I decided to take him to watch Frozen 3D a couple of weeks ago, again he was really well behaved and enjoyed it (although I think I may have enjoyed it more, lovely film, lovely soundtrack). Glad your little one enjoyed it.

• Carolin says

Wow, that’s a real bargain. Ours charges £1.50, which is great too. I just wish they would also show current movies x

• Carolin says

Child showings are great, aren’t they? I would have taken her to one of them first, but they didn’t show Frozen and I really wanted to watch it x

5. says

Awww, I did the same thing with my little man last month. Isn’t Frozen a great little story? Firsts are always so memorable, and I have to say your little one looks mesmerised on the picture! Mel
    Mel recently posted…Jumpy’s Eczema StoryMy Profile

6. says

I avoided the cinema for ages with eldest and then regretted it when I found out how much they enjoy it. Cian was 3 when I took him the first time to Finding Nemo, there’s plenty of cinemas that show a morning film for Mum’s & tots now which is a great way to get out yet still relax – especially in this weather.

So pleased your experience was such a magical one – we loved Frozen too! xx
    Emily recently posted…10 years…My Profile

7. says

So pleased the trip was a success. We’ve only taken Lucas to the cinema once and he couldn’t decide where he wanted to sit so it was rather like musical chairs!!! Luckily the cinema was very empty (phew!!) #magicmoments #whatsthestory