Yesterday, I fancied a sweet treat, but didn’t want to stand in the kitchen for full blown baking activities, so I decided that it was time to revive an old family tradition and bake some buttery Belgian waffles with a sweet cherry and blueberry topping.
My sister and I often baked waffles when we were both still living at home and to us they are the ultimate treat, if you want something that’s quick, easy and almost mess-free. Amy still managed to look like a Hannibal Lector after his favourite mealtime, but I think that’s more down to the character of the topping!
If you want to know how to make our Sunday afternoon treat, here’s the recipe for Belgian waffles and a sweet cherry and blueberry topping.
Ingredients for Belgian waffles:
250g all purpose flour
150g granulated sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, separated
350 ml milk
170g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Method for Belgian waffles:
1. Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl and in a separate bowl, mix your egg yolks, butter, milk and vanilla extract before stirring them into the dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into your waffle mix.
3. Preheat your waffle iron and bake following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Ingredients for sweet cherry and blueberry topping:
250g frozen cherries
150g frozen blueberries
100g granulated sugar
75 ml water
Method for sweet cherry and blueberry topping:
1. Place all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes under constant stirring and then leave to simmer until your topping has a syrupy consistency.
2. Drizzle over your Belgian waffles and serve with ice-cream or whipped cream.
Disclosure: These are very moreish, so don’t say I haven’t warned you!