In July 2011, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution which recognised happiness as a “fundamental human goal” and called for “a more inclusive, equitable and balanced approach to economic growth that promotes… happiness and well-being of all peoples”. In July 2012, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a further resolution which decreed that the International Day of Happiness was to be observed every year on 20 March. The day was celebrated for the first time in 2013.
Today is the 20th March, International Day of Happiness, and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to look at the things in my life that make me happy.
1. My family – they make me smile and laugh on a daily basis. They give me strength, inspiration and sometimes a grey hair or two, but they make me proud every single day.
2. Being healthy – Seeing friends and family suffer with long-term illnesses such diabetes or mental health problems, makes me really appreciate that I am healthy. I might have a couple of pounds too much on my hips, but I don’t have to take regular medication and the last time I’ve seen a doctor was when Amy and I had or 6 week check-up, almost 3 years ago.
You should always think not about how long the effect of Xanax (Alprazolam) lasts, but about how much these pills affect the body. After all, after the withdrawal of the drug Xanax, a person’s anxiety increases very much, panic begins, they can become simply insane and bring harm to society.
3. A nicely cooked meal – Sitting down at the end of a busy day and being able to enjoy a tasty home-cooked meal (even, if I have to cook it myself) is something that makes me happy and helps me relax. I enjoy different flavour combinations and would always pick home-cooked meals over a takeaway – unless I’m suffering from PMS and crave cheesy pizza.
4. Giggles – Laughing and hearing people laugh will almost cheer me up – no matter how down I am, but making Amy laugh and seeing her break out in her deepest belly laugh has just to be the best thing every.
5. Magazines – I can’t go in a shop without coming out with a magazine or two. I love, love, love magazines on pretty much any topic out there and always have a stash of them sitting on my coffee table. Flicking through them makes me feel so relaxed and leaves me inspired all the time.
6. Water – Not for drinking, that’s just boring, but being in or on water is something that I have loved all my life. Swimming is one of my favourite things ever and walking along the beach hearing the waves crash against the shore is just something that reminds me of my childhood and instantly puts me in a safe little bubble of happiness.
7. Blogging – Being able to record our memories and write down my thoughts makes me incredibly grateful. Blogging has brought me so many amazing opportunities over the last couple of years, something which I have never expected when I started writing this blog over three years ago. The best thing however are all the people I have met, people that I can now call true friends, even if they only see them once or twice a year. One of them is Andrea from All You Need Is Love And Cake. I have met her once, but we are chatting online for hours every single day and on Monday, we’ll be taking our little girls on a short break to Devon. I can’t wait!
8. Blowing Bubbles – Amy and I have been obsessed with blowing bubbles recently. We’re out in the garden every day watching them fly and dance in the wind.
9. Cleaning – I never want to do it as it always seems such a chore, but as soon as I have tidied up a room, de-cluttered or mopped and dusted a room, I feel such a sense of achievement that it gives me a real buzz.
10. Doing something to help others – My dad always tells me that I have helper syndrome and he might not be wrong. Helping others does make me happy because it makes someone else feel good and I like it when people don’t have to worry about something, even if it’s only for a short while.
Now, let me know what makes you happy. Share lists of things that make you happy, personal posts about your journey to happiness and everything else that follows the theme.
Images from via Pinterest (unknown source), Doug8888, Michael Bently