Last week, Amy and I were invited to the brand new Next Home and Garden store in Cribbs’s Causeway, Bristol.
The Next Home and Garden store in Bristol is the first of its kind and focuses entirely on interior design and garden, but the store also features another first, the Next Bedshop, an area on the 31,000 sq.ft shop-floor solely dedicated to helping customers find their perfect bed and mattress.
While we received a tour of the store, we also had the chance to meet sleep expert Sammy Margo, author of The Good Sleep Guide. Sammy gave us some great tips to improve the quality of our sleep and as we all deserve a good night’s sleep, I thought I would share ten of Sammy’s top tips with you:
10 top tips to improve the quality of your sleep by sleep expert Sammy Margo
1. A bedtime routine is just important for grown-ups as it is for children. Switch the TV or laptop off, have a hot bath and a sleepy snack (more on those later) and go to bed.
2. Sleep in a completely dark room, e.g. use black out blinds, thick curtains or a sleep mask.
3. Sleep in a cool room around 16-18 degree Celsius, if possible with the window open, but not creating a draft.
4. Paint your room in a light green or pink shade. These colours have a calming effect on you.
5. Keep your room clutter free and only use it for sleeping.
6. Foods like oats, bananas or honey make a great bedtime snack.
7. Sleep with as little clothing as possible and always wear bed socks.
8. If possible, have separate duvets when sharing your bed with a partner and change duvets in summer and winter.
9. Regularly check that your pillows aren’t broken, e.g. fold the pillow and place a trainer on top of it. If the pillow bounces back, it’s good to use. If not, you should get a new pillow.
10. Replace your mattress every 8 years.
The kids test beds the toddler way
Sammy’s talk was really rather interesting and as we’re on the market for a new bed and mattress, it was very handy to get first-hand advice from a sleep expert that even celebrities like Nigella Lawson rely on. The kids didn’t find the talk half as exciting as we did, so they sneaked off for some bed testing the toddler way and look how much fun they had.
After Sammy’s talk, we were lucky enough to receive a gift card and do some shopping. I chose some Smile letters for Amy’s room and some wine stacking cups and an ice and slice dispenser, which will be perfect for homemade lemonades and iced teas over the coming summer months. I can’t wait to try it out!
What do you think about our picks? Aren’t they perfect for summer?
Disclosure: We received a goody bag and gift card at the event and were invited to a lovely lunch at Carluccio’s after the event, however all our opinions are our own.