Mecca Bingo have recently challenged me to take part in their soap challenge and as I know absolutely nothing about soaps (unless they’re German, of course), I got the soap squad involved. Die-hard soap fans, who have watched everything from Coronation Street to Dallas. Ladies, who know JR’s number plate by heart and ladies who knew the killer of Eastenders’ Archie Mitchell, before the murderer himself even considered killing him. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, but these ladies know an awful lot about soaps and they’ve compiled their very own list showing the best moments of international soap history
Having watched all of them, I’ve made the concious decision to try getting into at least one soap. Soaps can be fun and entertaining and I’m the first one to admit that they like a bit of drama, but that’s not all. Soaps can also be incredibly influential and raise awareness about issues such as mental health, crime, loss of a loved one and more. They are made to entertain and that’s what they do, but they send strong underlying messages too and that is something to keep in mind when looking at our list of the best moments in international soap history.
They are funny, emotional, dramatic and some might say controversial, but these are moments that stuck with our soap squad for one reason or the other and here they are:
1. Scott and Charlene’s wedding in Neighbours
2. Kat and Zoe Slater – “You ain’t my mother” in Eastenders
3. The Plane Crash in Emmerdale
4. Bobby Ewing shower scene in Dallas
5. Catfight between Krystle and Alexis in Dynasty
6. Frank’s Naked Spinning Bow Tie in EastEnders
7. Eddie finds Jordan’s body under patio in Brookside
8. Richard drives Gail and the kids into the canal in Coronation Street
9. Raising awareness for male rape in Hollyoaks
10. Tanya buries Max alive in Eastenders
What’s your favourite moment in soap history? Who made you laugh, cry or check all your doors with fear?