Amy loves helping in the kitchen and whenever I ask her what we want to do for the day, she shouts “bake cake”. Obviously I won’t follow her requests every day, there’s only so much cake you can eat, but as I had some apples and some berries to use up, I decided that we’d do some cooking/baking and make a crunchy apple and berry crumble with them.
Having lived in Germany for the biggest part of my life, crumble is still somewhat of a novelty for me, but I really, really like it. It has comfort food written all over it and who doesn’t like comfort food? It’s warming, sweet and I love the crunchy topping. If you fancy having a go at my crunchy apple and berry crumble, follow the instructions below. It’s really super easy!
Crunchy Apple and Berry Crumble
3-4 small cooking apples
2 cups mixed frozen berries
100g plain flour
75g butter, softened
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.
2. Peel, core and chop your apples in small chunks. Add to a saucepan with water to prevent them from going brown.
3. Drain the water from the sauce pan, add 2 cups of mixed frozen berries and 100g of sugar. Place your sauce pan on a medium heat and stew until the apples are soft.
4. Pour the fruit into a medium sized oven-proof dish and let sit while you make your crumble.
5. To make the crumble topping, mix the rest of the sugar and flour and rub in the butter until your mix resembles breadcrumbs.
6. Sprinkle your mix over the fruit and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
7. Serve warm and with custard or ice-cream.
What’s your favourite crumble filling?
This is my entry for the Tots100 Co-operative Electrical competition.